450g carrots 1 tablspoon of olive oil 40g butter 1 chopped onion 1 stick of celery 2 small peeled potatoes 900ml of boiling vegetable stock 2 teaspoons of ground coriander 150ml of milk Salt and pepper to season
1. Trim and peel the carrots, and cut into chunks. Heat the oil and 25g of the butter in a pan and fry the onion gently for 3-4 minutes until the onion is slightly softened.
2. Slice the celery and chop the potatoes and add them to the onions in the pan. Cook them for 2 minutes and then add the carrots and cook for another minute. Transfer the fried vegetables to the slow cooker.
3. Pour the vegetable stock over the vegetables, then season with salt and pepper as required. Now cook on 'low' for 4-5 hours or until the vegetables are soft.
4. Melt the remaining butter in a pan and add the ground coriander, stirring constantly to release the flavour. Reduce the heat on the pan and add fresh coriander. Fry for around 30 seconds and then remove the pan from the heat.
5. Pour the soup into a food processor and blend until smooth. Stir in the milk and heat the soup gently until it is piping hot. Check the seasoning and serve straight away.