100g split peas 1 small turnip 1 carrot 2 leeks 2 tablespoons of oil 8 rasher of rindless, smoked streaky bacon, diced 1.4 litres chicken stock Salt and pepper Half a teaspoon of dry mixed herbs 150ml single cream 1 tablespoon chopped parsley to garnish
1. Cover the split peas with cold water and soak them overnight.
2. Drain the split peas well. Dice the turnip and carrot. Slice the leeks into rings.
3. Cook the vegetables in the oil for 5 minutes, add the bacon and continue cooking for a few minutes. Add the stock and split peas. Season well with salt and pepper and the mixed herbs.
4. Simmer gently for an hour, then blend the soup in a liquidiser until smooth.
5. Return the soup to a saucepan and reheat over a low heat. Stir in the cream.
6. Pour into individual soup bowls and garnish each serving with chopped parsley.