1 medium onion 1 large carrot 1 small turnip 100g cabbage 400g tinned tomatoes 25g dripping or alternative 25g grated Edam cheese Salt and pepper
1. Skin and chop the onion. Peel the carrot and dice. Thickly peel the turnip and dice. Wash and finely shred the cabbage.
2. Melt the dripping (or alternative) in a large pan and fry the onion for 10 minutes over a gentle heat. Add the carrot and turnip pieces and continue frying for another 5 minutes, stirring all the time.
3. Add the tomatoes and their juice as well as plenty of salt and pepper. Pour in 300ml cold water.
4. Bring the soup to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the carrot and turnip pieces are soft.
5. Stir in the cabbage and simmer again for 5 minutes, then add more salt and pepper as needed.