350g/ 12oz of broccoli 25g/ 1oz/ 2 tablespoons of butter 1 chopped onion 1 chopped leek 1 small potato, cut into chunks 600ml/ 1 pint of hot chicken stock 300ml/ 0.5 pint of milk 45ml/ 3 tablespoons of double cream 115g/ 4oz of stilton cheese, rind removed and crumbled Salt and pepper
1. Break the broccoli into pieces, discarding any tough stems. Put aside two small florets to garnish the finshed dish.
2. Melt the butter into a large pan and cook the onion and leek until soft but not coloured. Add the broccoli and potato and then pour in the stock. Cover and simmer for roughly 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
3. Cool slightly and then pour into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Strain the mixture through a sieve back into the rinsed pan.
4. Add the milk and double cream into the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat gently and at the last minute add the cheese, stirring until it just melts. Don't boil!
5. Meanwhile, blanch the reserved broccoli florets and cut them vertically into thin slices. Pour the soup into warm bowls and garnish with the sliced broccoli and a little pepper.