1 bundle of fresh asparagus 1 small onion 1.5 pints/ 750ml of vegetable stock Salt and pepper 1oz/ 25g of cornflour 0.5 pint/ 250 ml of milk
1. Wash the asparagus and trim off any rough pieces from the stems. Reserve a few tips for the garnish.
2. Cut the remainder of the asparagus into short lengths and place them in a large pan. Peel and finely chop the onion and add it to the pan with 0.5 pint/ 250ml of vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for between 20 and 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring a small pan of water to the boil and add a good pinch of salt. Simmer the reserved asparagus tips for about 5 minutes or until they are soft but not squashy. Drain well and put to one side.
4. Blend the cornflour with a little of the remaining stock, then stir this, with all the rest of the stock into the pan. Bring to the boil and then simmer, stirring until the soup has thickened.
5. Season the soup with salt and pepper and then sieve or liquidise the soup until smooth. Stir in the milk and then reheat gently.
6. Serve hot, with the asparagus tips as a garnish.