2 medium cucumbers Quarter of a small onion 1oz/ 25g of butter 1oz/ 25g of plain flour 2 chicken stock cubes 1 and a half pints/ 850ml of boiling water Salt and pepper 1 level tablespoon of choppe chives
1. Cut off 12 cucumber slices for decoration. Peel and chop the rest into small pieces.
2. Skin and finely chop the onion. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and fry the cucumber and onion together for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the flour and cook the mixture gently for roughly a minute, stirring frequently.
4. Dissolve the stock cubes into the boiling water and stir the stock gradually into the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.
5. Sieve the soup or liquidise it, season with salt and pepper and allow it to cool in the fridge for about 2 hours before serving.
6. Pour the soup into bowls, add the cucumber slices for a garnish and sprinkle with chives.