1 lb/ 500g scrag neck of lamb Salt and pepper 2oz/ 50g pearl barley 2 large carrots 1 large onion 4oz/ 100g of hard cabbage 1 small turnip 4oz/ 100g of frozen peas 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley
1. Cut the excess fat away from the lamb pieces and put the meat and bones in a large pan. Pour on one and three quarters of a pint/ one litre of cold water and add 1 level teaspoon of salt and the pearl barley.
2. Bring slowly to the boil and then skim the soup.
3. Peel the carrots and skin the onion. Dice the carrots, finely chop the onion and shred the cabbage. Thickly peel and dice the turnip.
4. Add all the vegetables, including the peas to the pan and bring the soup back to the boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer gently for about 2 hours, until the meat is cooked.
5. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley.