4 rashers of finely chopped bacon 50g (2oz) butter 1 onion, finely chopped 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 375g (12oz) mushrooms chopped 2 tablespoons of plain flour 600ml (1 pint) of chicken stock 150ml (quarter of a pint) of milk Salt and pepper 1 tablespoon of sherry (optional) 150ml (quarter of a pint) of double cream Chopped parsley
1. Fry the bacon until it is crispy, then drain on kitchen paper to remove excess grease.
2. melt the butter in a large saucepan and fry the onion, garlic and mushrooms until they are soft and starting to brown. Sprinkle on the flour and stir so that it is all mixed together well.
3. Gradually pour on the stock and the milk and stir well. Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and leave to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste, the sherry (optional) and half the cream. Heat the soup up and pour into bowls.
5. Whip the rest of the cream until it is form and spoon a little into each bowl of soup. Sprinkle the bacon and parsley on top and enjoy.